Saturday, April 17, 2010

Ear Care

I've said before, my interest in dogs is primarily behavior. If you've read my other entries, you've probably noticed that. However, as I am running a self-serve dog wash, I thought an entry on grooming was well past due.

I'll start with the ears, because that seems to be the most unfamiliar area.

A dog's ear canal, unlike a person's that just goes straight in, is shaped like an "L" or a check. It goes down and in. It is much more difficult to get water or other foreign matter out. This accounts for the excessive head shaking when water gets in the ear. The advantage is that you can clean the ear without fear of damaging the ear drum. Of course you still want to be careful not to damage the skin inside the ear canal.

If you don't care to do the cleaning, your vet or a groomer will clean the dog's ear for you.

For more information about ear cleaning and a good diagram of the dog's ear, visit http://www.dog-health-handbook.com/cleaning-dog-ears.html

No comments:

Post a Comment