Monday, May 10, 2010

Washing the face

Another question I often is get is how to wash a dog's face or head. The thing to remember is, just like people, dogs don't like water being sprayed in their face, so you want to use a different technique.

If there's no real dirt or odor, and it's just a general bath, you can take a rag (or you're welcome to use an extra towel here at the store), get it wet, and without ringing it out, just thoroughly wipe down the dogs face.

If the dog's face is dirty, wet the face as about, then ring out the rag, put a little bit of soap on the rag and rub it in until it lathers up. Repeat this until the face is clean. Then take the rag and wet it again and without ringing out the rag, wipe off the shampoo. Continue until all the shampoo is gone.

The important thing to remember is you don't want to get shampoo in the dog's eyes or ears, and some dogs find water in the eyes annoying as well. Although our regular shampoo is pretty mild, it does sting when it gets in the eyes, and I know from personal experience.

Unfortunetly I wasn't able to quickly find a link with more information on this topic, but I got my information from groomers, vets, and a trainer I've talked to. I'm sure the information is out there if you have the time to look for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment