Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I have a crazy idea

A few days ago my wife and daughter came home from the library with a children's book about dogs. So I of course picked it up and flipped through it. The artwork was beautiful, made from different papers cut to shape. So I read a bit of it and was appalled at the content.

I checked the publication date and the book is only three years old. For being such a new book, the information is very outdated and filled with misconceptions that have been disproved long before the book was published.

So, I had a crazy idea. I actually went to college for fine arts and mass media. I spent 20 years as a graphic artist and desktop publisher. So, why not write and illustrate a children's book about dogs myself?

Now I can explain that dogs do not pack like people think wolves do. Although they are very close on the evolutionary timeline, there is some discussion as to whether dogs evolved from wolves, other canidae, or independently. How dogs may have been bred by early man. A wagging tail does not always mean a dog is happy or wants to play. How dogs smile. And a number of other topics explained in a way I hope my 4 year old can understand.

I happen to have some friends of friends who either are or work for publishers, so hopefully that will give me an in and I won't have to self-publish. Guess we'll see how that goes. I'm excited to see how it turns out and will keep everyone updated on the progress.

I've written the outline and first draft and I am picking up some reference material for the art today.

No comments:

Post a Comment