Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Dogs walking ahead

This goes back to one of my favorite topics: dominance. Specifically, dogs walking ahead.

So, here's the scenario: I had stepped out of our walk-out basement the other day with Duncan, my Brittany. When we came in, Duncan went in the door first and went up the stairs ahead of me. How many indications of dominance do you see in this scenario?

Okay, I held a few things back, just to get to my point. First, consider locomotion, or the way we move. Bipedal locomotion is very impractical when compared to the alternative. Sure it has its advantages. Some scientist believe standing upright is a major contributing factor to our high intelligence as a species. But think about the species that can choose between walking on two legs or four. The first that come to my mind are bears and gorillas. When they want to move quickly or more efficiently they move on all fours.

Dogs are designed to move on all fours. They simply move faster than we do. How often have you seen someone chasing after a dog who is quickly outdistancing them? Consider that the second fastest land animal, after the Cheetah, is the dog - specifically the Greyhound.

So back to the previous scenario. When I was ready to go back inside, I called Duncan. He ran up to the door and I told him "back" so I could get the door open. I then told him "inside" because I didn't want to trip over him and the way the door is positioned it's awkward to hold it open while I wait for him to come in. He waited for me in the basement while I locked the door and when he saw me coming he started up the stairs. I'd rather have him go first than try to pass me because I'm slower than he is. He would walk up three or four steps, stop and look at me to check if I was still coming, up three or four more and check, all the way up. Even with his stopping and going, he still made it up the stairs much quicker than me.

All of this taken together does not at any time show a dominate dog. It shows my consideration for both of our safety and my understanding that this is a dog who can move more efficiently than I can. It does not show a dog who is trying to dominate me, but a dog who listens and constantly checks with me because he wants to be with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment