Friday, November 20, 2009

Training Techniques

There are two links at the bottom of this entry to a couple of articles written by Lisa Mullinax, CPDT. Although they are personal opinion, I believe her to be very rational, insightful, and her opinions backed up by experience and research.

I'm not one that usually comes out against a particular person and I can usually find and try to say something nice about everyone. I do believe the techniques Mullinax is arguing against need close scrutiny and pet owners should find more resources than a popular tv show to train their dog/s, particularly when so many experienced trainers and organizations have come out against those techniques.

The second article is in response to comments made about the first article. They are comments I constantly see on boards which Millinax does an excellent job of countering, explaining, and dispelling.

I don't want to be a person that just says "Don't do that" or "You're doing it wrong." So again, I'll mention a few of my favorite trainers/behaviorists to go along with the suggestions by Mullinax: Ian Dunbar, Patricia McConnell, Victoria Stillwell, Karen Pryor, Sarah Kalnajs. All of these trainers are published writers (Mudd Puppies carries some of their books), and their websites can be found on my dog links page.

Finally, the links to the articles:
http://www.4pawsu.com/dogpsychology.htm
http://www.4pawsu.com/cesarfans.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment