Saturday, November 28, 2009

Loss and Mourning

A good friend of mine dropped by the store on his way home to tell me he had to euthanize his companion of over 10 years. I was reminded of when I had to have Talbot euthanized. It was the best thing I could have done for him, but that didn't make it any easier. The same was true for Joe: an undiagnosed problem made it the most humane course of action.

I've been thinking for a while about doing an entry discussing the comment that "it's just a dog." Yes, they are just dogs, but what does that actually mean? Dogs are not automatons that are totally motivated by self-preservation and species-preservation with no thoughts or feelings, but they are not furry little children either. But I don't have all my thoughts collected right now, so it will have to come later.

Right now, I'm just going to mourn the loss of Joe, Talbot, Josette, Henry, Max, Malikai, Smoke, and all the other dogs that have touched my life.

http://www.theotherendoftheleash.com/category/death-of-a-pet/

No comments:

Post a Comment