Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Dog Adoptions

I wanted to do something a little more positive and something reminded me of this the other day. Plus with the holidays coming and the potential for giving pets as gifts, I thought I'd revisit the topic of pet adoptions. The last discussion was geared more towards avoiding puppy mills, but this time I wanted to give some other options.

I used to volunteer for the American Brittany Rescue (ABR) until I opened the store and plan to get back to that when my schedule allows. Most, if not all rescue organizations have a screening process in place to make sure the dog is in good health, up to date on thier shots, and the potential owners can meet the dogs needs. Most can transport the dog to your location, one of the things I used to do with the ABR and we would transport for other oganizations as well. A large majority of the dogs, at least most of the ones I worked with, had nothing wrong with them, it was just that their owners were unable to care for them forvarious reasons, ie, moving, too many dogs, etc. A few did have medical conditions that did require treatment.

If you're thinking of giving a dog for X-mas or are looking for a dog for yourself, or if you'd like to help (organizations are always looking for foster homes and other volunteer help) I hope you'll consider checking with your local shelter or one of these rescue organizations.

The American Kennel Club has a very comprehensive list of breed specific rescue organizations at http://www.akc.org/breeds/rescue.cfm.

No comments:

Post a Comment